20 Quotes To Spark An Inbound Sales Culture
Salespeople of the B2B world – yes, I’m talking to you – imagine talking to prospects on the phone who not only want to hear from you, but also look forward to your call. You’re listening carefully to what they have to say about their business needs, and they’re eager to hear your industry expertise – it’s an equal exchange between the two of you.
Those kinds of calls are at the heart of an inbound sales culture – they’re the reward for prioritising the needs of your buyers. They don’t happen all the time though. There are a lot of unanswered calls and ignored emails along the way.
Here’s some background on inbound sales, and 20 quotes to keep B2B sales professionals in the inbound frame of mind.
What are inbound sales?
Inbound sales isn’t just about the customer coming to you, rather than you pursuing them through cold calls and emails. It’s a state of mind. You prioritise your buyer’s needs, pain points and goals – it’s a mindset of putting your buyer’s needs before your own.
An intimate understanding of buyer needs can only be achieved at the sales stage through sales and marketing teams working together, and exchanging information about what is and isn’t resonating with their buyers.
There’s a demand from B2B tech buyers for that personal touch. Our Tech Heads research report showed that 76% of CIOs want to be treated more as a person than a sales opportunity.
Aligning your sales and marketing departments requires time and effort, but there are practical steps to help you get there.
Quotes to inspire inbound salespeople
1. “Artisans not automatons” Bob Apollo, Inflexion Point
This quote was discussed during an event we hosted with Bob about customer acquisition. Bob explained that the idea of creating a prospecting factory is a flawed analogy because it enforces a one-size-fits-all approach, which is at odds with the subtleties of individual buyer needs.
Thinking of sales people as skilled artists is a more fitting analogy. It’s an approach that B2B sales people need to take if they want to acquire customers in a strategic, effective way.
Here are some other quotes to get into the inbound sales mindset:
2. “People don’t remember the pitch, they remember the experience.” Dharmesh Shah
3. “You don’t close a sale, you open a relationship if you want to build a long-term, successful enterprise” Patricia Fripp
4. “I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen” Ernest Hemingway
5. “There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.” Beverly Sills
6. “If you make listening and observation your occupation, you will gain much more than you can by talk.” Robert Baden-Powell
7. “Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.” Jean-Jacques Rousseau
8. “The art of conversation lies in listening.” Malcom Forbes
9. “Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don’t recognize them.” Ann Landers
10. “We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” Walt Disney
11. “There is a difference between listening and waiting for your turn to speak.” Simon Sinek
12. “Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.” Steve Jobs
13. “What we dwell on is who we become.” Oprah Winfrey
14. “The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” Arnold H. Glasow
15. “True intuitive expertise is learned from prolonged experience with good feedback on mistakes.” Daniel Kahneman
16. “The best sales questions have your expertise wrapped into them” Jill Konrath
17. “To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.” Bruce Lee
18. “Don’t interrupt what your buyers want to consume – BE what they want to consume.” Mike Volpe
19. “As with any relationship, the market favors those who give more value than they ask for.” Leslie Bradshaw
20. “You will get all you want in life, if you help enough other people get what they want.” Zig Ziglar
An inbound sales culture involves being patient, attentive, optimistic, and dedicated. Practising these qualities will help you gain an intimate knowledge of your buyers, and give you a strategic approach for acquiring customers.
Download our Strategic Customer Acquisition Guide for more insight into generating inbound sales in B2B